Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Socks and shoes

“The devil is in the details.”
Anonymous

Growing up, I had the amazing experience of going to John Wooden basketball camp for five straight years. For those of you who aren’t hoops enthusiasts, let me explain why this was so special.

John Wooden was, is, and always will be considered the greatest college basketball coach of all time. While at U.C.L.A., his teams collected ten NCAA national championships in a 12-year period — seven in a row— an unprecedented achievement.

Within this period, his teams won a record 88 consecutive games. He was named national coach of the year six times. The athlete voted the most outstanding college basketball player in America each year is given the John R. Wooden award. The man is an icon.

From ages eight to twelve I got to spend a week each summer with this Hall of Famer, this legend, this master teacher…me and about two hundred other campers.

And what do I remember most clearly about my experiences with the master thirty some odd years later? How to properly put on my socks and shoes.

The first day of camp, the gym was buzzing with excitement. And then John Wooden walked in, the Wizard of Westwood. We all stood and cheered wildly, and he humbly nodded and waved. And then the lessons began. He asked us to take our sneakers and socks off, and spent the next fifteen minutes showing us how to properly put them back on, and why this all mattered.

The first time it happened, I admit I was a little underwhelmed. I figured we’d immediately start playing: running, shooting, and rebounding. Mom had already taught me how to dress myself…I wanted a bit more from Coach. And if I felt that way at eight, how do you think some of the greatest collegiate players of all time felt when he started practice the same way with them?

But John Wooden was a life-coach, not just a basketball coach. He understood that “the devil is in the details.” If you don’t pay attention to the little things, the seemingly meaningless details as you rush toward action, there will be serious consequences down the road; injuries and failures. I understand now.

Success is built on thoughtful planning, and respect for the fundamentals, and about taking care of first things first. Yes, action must happen, but carefully and with clear purpose.

Movement is not the same thing as progress.

I’m still that eight year-old far more often then I care to admit, hurrying to get ahead in the game of life and running the risk of overlooking key details; the clues to what matters most. I act as if I can’t afford to slow down; too much to get done. Can you relate?

Maybe it’s time to take the socks and shoes off, and start again?

Question for reflection: What are some of the details of your life you need to pay closer attention to?